SWEA New York Mona Johnsson Scholarship
SWEA, the Swedish Women’s Educational Association, is a global non-profit organization for Swedish and Swedish-speaking women who are living or have lived outside of Sweden. SWEA’s mission includes supporting and raising awareness of the Swedish language, culture and traditions. SWEA supports education through scholarships and other projects.
SWEA was founded in 1979 in Los Angeles by Agneta Nilsson and has since then grown to consist of 7,000 members distributed among over 70 chapters in 33 countries around the world. The New York chapter of SWEA was established in 1983 and has approximately 200 members.
Mona Johnsson was one of the founders of SWEA New York, and remained a very active and involved member until she passed away in 2014. From 2014, SWEA New York’s scholarship will be awarded in fond memory of Mona Johnsson.
Each year, SWEA New York awards one or several scholarships, depending on the applicant pool. In return, recipients commit to providing a report to SWEA New York on how the award was used – either in writing or by giving a presentation.
The application is now closed. Welcome to apply next year.
The scholarship awardee(s) will be notified in the beginning of January and is to receive the scholarship at SWEA New York’s Annual Meeting in February.
For more information, or to submit your application, please e-mail: sweanyscholarship(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)gmail.com
To support a person or an organization with ties to New York in their studies or their efforts to advance/share knowledge of Swedish culture, traditions, language, history, or society.
To be considered for the scholarship, an applicant must:
· Have connections with New York and Sweden
· Have concrete plans on how to use the scholarship
· Commit to providing a report on how the scholarship was used, for instance by writing an article or giving a presentation to SWEA New York; and (If applicable), have established contact with the university, institution or organization where she/he will study
· Both women and men are encouraged to apply
· SWEA members and their families cannot apply.